Technical college bulk
Address: 69 Georgiyevskaya Str.
In 1876, a democrat F.Khartakhay founded Mariupol male gymnasium. But it did not have its own premises and classes were held in unsuitable rented houses for almost a quarter of a century. In 1894 Mariupol city government announced a competition for the best project of the gymnasium building. It involved many architects from different cities. The competition was held under the motto ‘I'll try’. In the same year the contest was summed up and the most successful project was Odessan architect, an academician K.Tolvinskiy. The construction was slow and it was completed only in 1899.
In 1917 the courses of rural activists were there. In 1941 there was a military hospital in the building.
A water tower
Address: 36 Engelsa Str.
It is an architectural monument of Mariupol. It is located in the Central region at the intersection of Varganov and Engelsa Streets. The height is 33 m. The author of the water tower project is a city architect V.Nielsen supplemented the project with a lookout with a fire tower, expanding its appointment as a fire department. The work on the construction of a water tower and city water pipeline was started in December 1909. Since September 1910 the city water supply has started its work. Water-pumping columns with rooms for caretakers were created in the streets of the city. In connection with the replacement of piston pumps in 1932, the tower has lost its functional significance. Since the beginning of the 90s, a branch of Privatbank was located in the tower. The tower is located on the highest point of the central part of the city due to which it rises above the surrounding buildings. This building that is interesting in architectural and artistic terms, has become a landmark and one of the symbols of the city.
Blocks of flats with fleches
It is an architectural monument of the city of Mariupol. The houses were built in 1953 according to the project of an architect L.Yasnavitsky. The spiers of buildings can be seen from all points of the city, in their architecture, houses stand out from the surrounding buildings and are the main landmarks in an old part of the city.
Federation of Greek Associations of Ukraine
Аddresss: 63 Grecheskaya Str.
The Federation of Greek Associations of Ukraine (FGOU) is a voluntary all-Ukrainian association of public organizations (all-Ukrainian association of Greeks), which includes 102 Greek partnerships in 19 regions of Ukraine and the Autonomous Republic of Crimea (2009). The purpose of the federation is to unite the Greeks to protect their rights and interests, preserve the Greek diaspora, history and cultural monuments, revive the Greek national self-consciousness, spirituality, traditions and customs. The Federation is a member of the International Union of Greek Public Organizations ‘Pontos’ and the World Council of Hellenes Abroad.
‘Azovintex’ engineering and construction company performs the construction of the objects of any complexity in the coking, metallurgical, machine building and energy industries. ‘Azovinteks’ was founded on June 4, 1996 in the city of Mariupol. At first the enterprise specialized in the reconstruction and repair of buildings and premises: offices, apartments, institutions and organizations. In order to compete successfully in the conditions of the emergence of a market economy, the management of the enterprise is betting on modern construction technologies and materials, original architectural solutions and high qualification of personnel. In the first year of its existence, ‘Azovinteks’ performed repair and construction work in ten facilities. The largest of them are October branch of ‘Prominvestbank’, ‘Terminal’ offices of the company, ‘Marineko’, ‘Dynasty’, ‘Intec’, the building of Mariupol customs, medical-diagnostic center of Azovstal etc. The objects favorably differed from most buildings in due time by the freshness of ideas, original design decisions, quality and convenience. Due to this, a number of customers grows from year to year and new larger objects appear.
The Humper House in Mariupol is one of the most interesting architectural monuments of the city. A small house in the Neo-Gothic style, made up of red brick, is located in Slobodka district. The distinctive features of architecture are lancet windows, brick patterns and an extension in the form of a tower of a medieval castle. At the turn of the XIX-XX centuries a famous Mariupol physician S. Humper lived here. The descent leading to the house is still called the Doctor's or Gamperovskiy. There were communal apartments in Humper’s house in the Soviet era. Now the building is waiting for the reconstruction.
Address: 83 Mira Ave.
Vysotskiy monument is one of the monuments in Mariupol.
It was opened near Communication House on January 20, 1998. It is created in honor of a verse writer, a musician and an actor V.Vysotskiy. The authors of the monument are Y.Kharabet and Y.Baldin.
This is the first monument to Vysotskiy established in Ukraine. The stone pedestal depicts Vysotsky's profile in the image of Hamlet, the theater curtain, the sword and ‘fastidious horses’. There was an inscription on the pedestal: ‘Mariupol does not favor his love for casual people’. The profile is made of bronze, a stele is carved from black granite in the form of a torch. At the opening of the monument A. Buldakov, V. Zolotukhin, S. Farad, V.Shapovalov, Y. Lyubimov were present. Also on January 25, 1998 in ‘Iskra’ palace of culture a memorial plaque was opened in honor of the fact that on his stage on March 16, 1973 there was a speech by Vysotskiy. In 2003, the monument was replaced by another one, where Vysotskiy was portrayed in the image of Gleb Zheglov from the feature film ‘The meeting place can not be changed’. The opening was timed to coincide with Vysotsky's 65th birthday and was scheduled for January 25 but it was later postponed to February 7th. The new sculpture was made by Mariupol sculptors Vladimir and Igor Zhigulin. Zheglov is dressed in a leather cloak, he has a pistol in his hand. This gun was broken off four times by vandals. The height of the monument is two meters. The sculpture is made of synthetic compound. The dismantled monument to the work of Kharabet was reinstalled on Lenin Komsomol Square.
Taras Shevchenko monument
Address: Shevchenko Ave. and Metallurgov Ave. crossing
Taras Shevchenko monument is a monument opened in honor of Ukrainian poet, a prose writer, an artist and an ethnographer Taras Shevchenko in Mariupol.
The author of the monument is an honored artist of Ukraine Alexander Vitryk. The architects are Andrey Kadyrov and Eduard Andrushkevich. The height of the sculpture is 2.5 meters, the pedestal has such dimensions - 1.5 by 1.3 by 1.9 meters. The monument itself is made of reinforced concrete and is lined with sheet copper. Black and red granite was used for the construction of the pedestal.
The modern monument of Shevchenko was built on Shevchenko Boulevard. It is the main transport artery of the city, connecting historical quarters and sleeping areas with one of the main industrial enterprises of the city, with Azovstal. This monument appeared in the city in 2001, by the tenth anniversary of the existence of independent Ukraine.
Taras Shevchenko monument
Address: Mira Ave.
Shevchenko monument was opened in the city in 1964 when the 150th anniversary of the birth of Kobzar was celebrated. He was put in a corner formed by Stalinist houses, on Mira Ave., just opposite the Theater Square. This is a bust built on a cement stela. Shevchenko is a mature man, he has already changed all his thoughts, published his best poems and created a galaxy of wonderful paintings. The bust of the poet is made of stone - deliberately rough, so it makes a very strong impression on visitors. The energy that comes from this stone statue of Shevchenko is enough to make a small coup or to spark in the hearts of people an interest in the history of Ukrainian people.
Young Kuindzhi monument
Address: Mira Ave. and Metallurgov Ave. crossing
The monument is in honor of Arkhip Kuindzhi, a landscape painter, a native Mariupol citizen and a Greek by birth. Arkhip Kuindzhi was remembered by his contemporaries both as a skilful landscape painter and as a benefactor and a defender of student youth. Therefore, the first monument in honor of the artist was a tombstone in St. Petersburg. The bust of the artist was executed by a sculptor and an academician Beklemishev V. (1861-1920). A replication of this bust was transferred to the Mariupol Museum of Local History a decade later.
A new attempt to create a monument in honor of the famous artist belonged to the sculptor Ivan Barannikov. He created a model with a figure of Kuindzhi in a fur coat. But an artist had no revolutionary merit before the proletariat and the communist government, no one was in a hurry to create a monument. The model of the sculptor Barannikov was transferred to the funds of the local museum which slightly diluted the ordinary sculptures to the revolutionary figures.
By its own will and without state orders, a monument in honor of Kuindzhi was demanded to create the Donetsk sculptor Polonika V. in the late 1970s. Information about this is preserved in a letter dated 1995. The sculptor worked on the composition for several years and stopped on the bust of young Kuindzhi. After all, he was young when he left Mariupol. The bust turned out to be modernized, the swing of the shoulders of the figure reached two meters. A hand with a brush is added to the bust. During his life, Kuindzhi wore a beard, which in the bustier was shining the image.
A.Pushkin monument (1799-1837)
Address: Metallurgov Ave.
The townspeople are proud of the fact that Mariupol is the only city in the Donetsk region that a brilliant Russian poet Alexander Pushkin visited going to the Caucasus in 1820. There is documentary evidence of how the 100th anniversary of the birth of the poet was solemnly celebrated in Mariupol. Later, a bust was installed on the pedestal in the park at the intersection of Torgovaya Str. and Lenina Str. (it was dismantled in the 1980s).
June 6, 2000 the solemn opening of a new monument took place. At Metallurgov Avenue in the Marokhim Palace of Culture, a reinforced concrete sculpture is mounted on a pedestal.
Author: a sculptor A. Skorykh.
The height of the figure is 2 m.
Metropolitan Ignatiy Monument
Address: on the territory of Federation of Greek Assossiations of Ukraine
On the eve of the 230th anniversary of Mariupol in the territory of the Cultural Center of the Federation of Greek Assossiations of Ukraine, the monument to the outstanding son of the city, Metropolitan Gotfeyskiy and Kafayskiy, was opened which led the migration of Greeks from the Crimea to the Sea of Azov, St. Ignatius. The initiator of the creation and opening in Mariupol of a monument to Metropolitan Ignatius is Archpriest Vasily Multnykh, he saved the remains of St. Ignatius from the burning church. By his labors the metropolitan was counted among the saints. Now Father Vasily lives in the village of Usatovo, near Odessa, but he constantly maintains a close relationship with Mariupol being a spiritual father of the Mariupol Greeks. On his initiative, a draft of a monument to the Metropolitan was created, he personally engaged in collecting the funds necessary for the manufacture of the monument. After some uncertainty with the site of the monument, he finally found his place next to the building of the Federation.
The author of the monument was Odessa sculpture Seraphim Charkin. At the opening of the monument he met with Mariupol artist and sculptor L. Kuzminkovich - the author of the first monument to the Metropolitan, established in Mariupol ten years ago at the Archangel Michael's church. After removing the coverlet, the monument was consecrated by the Dean of the Mariupol District, Father Nikolay. At the end of the Liturgy, the awarding of medals to the name of the Metropolitan to activists took place and his work helped to preserve the memory of Ignatius. Among the awarded are the members of the Mariupol Society of the Greeks Nadezhda Chapni, Valentina Konop-Lyashko, Lel Kuzminkov, Arkady Protsenko etc.
City Theatre Square
Address: Theatre square
City (Theater) Square is a favorite place of rest for the residents and the guests of Mariupol, located in the center of the city, surrounded on all sides by the roadway of Mira Ave. There is a fountain in the center of the square. Several species of acacias and maples, neck, Crimean pine, blue spruce, Cossack juniper, spiraea, evergreen boxwood, prickly geldicia, birches, lindens, oaks, lilac and mulberry grow on the territory of the park.
The territory of the modern park was left unbuilt specially for people's holiday since the foundation of the city. It was called Alexander Square, later - the Square of Freedom, the Central Square and the Theater Square. In 1862 there was laid a large three-table church of St. Mary Magdalene, St. John the Baptist and the Protection of the Holy Virgin. The church was completed and consecrated only until 1897. At the beginning of the 20th century a fountain appeared in the center of the square (a bowl with a sculptural group of two boys, and under the cup bronze figures of four women). The first fountain of the square was taken by fascists on the second day of occupation (October 9, 1941). After the war, a large round pavilion was built on the remains of the foundation of the church. Here in 1948-1989 there was a monument (bust) to Andrei Zhdanov, in honor of which Mariupol was renamed in 1948. In the post-war years, an arch appeared in the western part of the square, it was destroyed in the spring of 1960 in connection with the construction of a dramatic theater building.
‘Plane’ monument for soldiers-liberators
Address: Mira Ave.
The monument is located on the central thoroughfare of the city - Mira Avenue. The monument is a MIG-17 take-off aircraft fixed to a 45 ° boom. There is a commemorative plaque at the base of the arrow.
In early September 1943 troops of the Southern Front under the command of Colonel-General F. Tolbukhin, advancing along the coast of the Azov Sea, began fighting for the liberation of the city of Mariupol. In air battles over Mariupol, 27 enemy planes were shot down, 69 cars, 13 locomotives and 18 wagons were destroyed, 80 fires were caused, 500 enemy soldiers were killed and wounded. Pilot Ivan Babak, having smashed the locomotive, forced to stop the train in which the Nazis went to Germany.
For courage and heroism shown during the liberation of the city, on September 10, 1943, the order of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the 9th Guards Fighter Air Division was given ‘Mariupol’ name.
Makar Mazay Monument
Address: Bodrova Str., on the corner of Nikopolskiy Ave.
On September 10, 1948, on the 5th anniversary of the liberation of Mariupol from the Nazi occupiers, the monument to M. Mazay, an innovator of the metallurgical industry, one of the initiators of the Stakhanov movement in the country, was opened.
The former Kuban shepherd began to work at the plant. Ilyich was an assistant in 1930 and from 1932 he became a steelworker.
In 1936 he initiated the movement of high-speed steelmaking and achieved record results. His name became known throughout the world, people came to study with him from all parts of our country.
M. Mazay said that metallurgists of the country were ready to give so much steel to fill it with the entire fascist pack. In 1940, Mazai was sent to Moscow to Promakademia. In 1941, with the outbreak of war, he returned to the plant. The fascists wanted to force M. Mazay to work for them, but he preferred the death to betrayal: in November 1941, he died in Gestapo torture chambers. A lot of books and poems were written about his high civil feat. 2-serial feature film ‘White Circle’ was shot. There were no documents and evidence of the death of M.Mazay, therefore, various versions of his execution were burned in the open-hearth furnace, shot in the steppes outside the city and blown up on the slagstone.
At first the monument was installed near the central factory gate, it was later moved and is located near the intersection of the avenue of Nikopol and Metallurgists.
Authors: a sculptor A.Chubin and an architect A.Pleskov.
'Armoured vehicle' memorial sign to soldiers-liberators
Address: Karpinskogo Str.
On a high pedestal of granite stones there is a commemorative sign - the battle tank T-34 No. 121.
The commemorative sign was installed in memory of the feat of the tankers of the 4th Guards Mechanized Corps under the command of Lieutenant-General T.Tanaschishin, who took part in the liberation of the city of Mariupol from the Nazi invaders on September 10, 1943. There are two memorial plaques with inscriptions : ‘It is dedicated to the immortal courage and heroism of the Soviet tankmen’. ‘It was built in honor of the 30th anniversary of the Victory of the Soviet people in the Great Patriotic War on May 9’.
‘Steel melter’ sculpture
Address: Kalmiusskiy district, entry road to the city
The sculpture ‘Steel melter’ has been installed at the entrance to Mariupol, it has become a visiting card of the city.
The memorial sign was established in 1969.
Authors: В.Beroev and V. Yurkevich.
‘Cannon’ monument to soldiers-liberators
Address: Meotida Ave.
A struggle against fascist invaders for liberation of Mariupol began on 5 September 1943 by the warriors of the Southern front under the command of F. Tolbukhin Colonel General. The warriors of 130 Taganrog rifle division under the command of K.Sychev were moving closely along the sea to fight.
In the northeast direction, the 221st Rifle Division under the command of Colonel II was fighting under the command of Blazhevich. Until 15 hours on September 10, 1943 Mariupol was completely cleared from the invaders.
The 130th rifle division was awarded by the Order of the Red Banner for the courage shown during the liberation of the city and 221 division received the honorary name of ‘Mariupol’.
In the evening of September 10, 1943, the Supreme Commander-in-Chief congratulated the troops of the Southern Front and the sailors of the Azov Flotilla with the liberation from the German fascist invaders of a major center of the metallurgical industry in the south of the country, the city and the port of Mariupol. Hundreds of soldiers and officers were awarded with orders and medals of the Soviet Union. He was awarded with the Order of Kutuzov II degree.
On Meotida Ave. on November 6, 1975 a memorial sign was opened and the Eternal Flame was lit. A memorial sign is 76 mm artillery gun mounted on a rectangular pedestal. There is an inscription: ‘To the Liberators of the Warriors of the 221st Mariupol and the 130th Taganrog Division’.
‘Soldiers-townsmen’ monument to Azostal workers
Address: Naberezhnaya Str. at the central delayed gate of the iron and steel works
Since the first days of the Great Patriotic War, thousands of Azovstal residents have gone to the front, more than 1,300 people joined the regiment where they were trained before joining the Red Army.
Almost the entire factory fleet was transferred to the army. Two armored trains were equipped for the front, a body shop was formed and staffed and three pontoon bridges were built. Drawings have been developed and installations for conducting anti-aircraft fire from the sides of the ships of the Azov military flotilla and converted commercial vessels for military purposes have been made. At the same time specialists and equipment were evacuated to the rear.
Capturing Mariupol, the occupants handed over Azovstal to the cannon King of Germany Krupp. But despite the threats and executions, they failed to get the metal of Azovstal. Efforts of patriotic underground group Shtan'ko and N.Lyutikova restored blast furnaces were put out of order. Later hundreds warriors were awarded with orders and medals and 8 became Heroes of the Soviet Union.
In memory of those who did not live up to the Victory Day, a monument was opened in the central entrance on October 25, 1967. There are concrete figures of a sailor, a Red Army man and a steelworker against the background of a flag. There is an inscription: ‘The feat never dies, in the memory of its people’. There are 458 names of the dead on the pedestal.
In 2004, the monument was reconstructed.
Authors: a sculptor V.Batya, an architect Y. Lenkov.
Metropolitan Ignatiy monument
Address: on the territory of Michael the Archangel Cathedral
On 25 March 1998 metropolitan Ignatiy monument was opened on the square over Michael the Archangel Cathedral. A figure of the metropolitan is in a full length, in a canonical dress with arising arms to bless. There are signs in a cube shape from 4 sides:
2. ‘The monument is opened on 25 March 1998 on the eve of 220 anniversary of the foundation of Mariupol’;
3. ‘Mitropolitan Ignatiy led Crimean Christians out of khanate and he founded Mariupol. 1778-1780’;
4. ‘The monument is constructed on the initiative and support of the chairman of Mariupol M.Pozhivanov’.
The artists K. Konstantinov and L.Kuzminkov are creators.
Sailors-troopers monument (armoured launch)
Address: Primorskiy Park
On September 10 at night, in Melekino area, a new landing was planted under the command of Lieutenant-Captain V.Nemchenko.Troops were landed under the command of Captain II rank N. Kirillov. As a part of the landing there were 283 marines. The goal was to stop the retreat of the German fascist troops, to occupy the port of Mariupol and thereby help the landed forces to liberate the city. First platoon of the second lieutenant A. Petrov entered the port and at 12 o'clock on September 10 a red flag flew over the port building. The commemorative sign ‘Armored car’ № 346 was installed on a pedestal in the form of stylized waves. In the lower part of the pedestal there is a memorial plaque with the inscription: ‘To sailors-troopers. In honor of the 30th anniversary of the liberation of Ukraine from the Nazi invaders’. The armored car was built in the city of Zelenodolsk on Volga at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945. The combat biography of the boat began at Stalingrad and continued on the Sea of Azov, near the cities of Mariupol, Berdyansk, Temryuk, in the Kerch Strait. In 1944 the ferry boat was transported to the Dnieper where he continued his combat path. Then there was the Dniester and the battle route ended at the parade of the Danube Flotilla in Budapest in 1945. The monument was opened on September 10, 1974.
The authors of the pedestal: the sculptor V.Patsevich and an architect V.Solomin.
The monument of Victory – 'Soldier-liberator'
Address: Fontanov Square
In honor of the 55th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War in May 2000, a monument was opened on the Fountain Square. The central place in it is the warrior-winner. Behind him there are two pillars with oblique counter relief strips imitating the color of the border poles. On the left - the inscription ‘1941’, on the right – ‘1945’.
There is a commemorative plaque with the inscription on the left of the warrior-liberator figure : ‘Defenders of the Fatherland! In the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945. From grateful Mariupol’.
The monument is made of reinforced concrete using sheet copper.
Authors: artists L.Kuzminkov and V.Konstantinov.
‘Tolya Balabukha’ monument
Address: Lunina Ave.
On June 1, 1965 on the Children's Day a monument to a young hero, the pioneer of school № 31 Tolya Balabukha appeared. On this site on September 10, 1943 his short life was cut. That day he with his friends and residents of the district, stood on the side of Portovaya Str. (now Admirala Lunina Ave.) and was looking at the fascists who were running out of the city under the pressure of Soviet troops. Endless carts, military equipment were moving in the street of the city. And suddenly a machine gun burst. A fascist started to shoot. Several people fell. Tolya Balabukha was mortally wounded in the stomach. The automaton ran up to the bloody boy and toppled his butt into Tolya’s head. November 5, 1965 the monument was opened. It is beautiful and unusual: a figure of a boy in a red tie is pulled out from a granite bar. The monument is built on the money earned by students of the school № 31.
1. ‘Pioneer is a hero’.
2. ‘On this site on September 10, 1943 a pioneer Anatoly Balabukha was killed, participating in the liberation of his native city from the Nazi invaders’.
Author: the teacher of school № 31 А.Marchenko.
Materials: artificial marble, reinforced concrete and epoxy resin.